Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Virtues of a Virgin Voter: Or Why I’m Voting NDP

As vociferous a reader I am, Tuesday June 22, 2004 will mark the first time in my 21 years of existence that I have bought a book on the day it is released to the public. I have committed that “sin” with other forms of media: opening day for films; the purchase of an album on its release; every Wednesday I purchase new graphical literature (comic books). Normally with books I carefully peruse the relevant reviews and ratings (online and word-of-mouth) that they have received before making my selection.

However, with My Life, by Bill Clinton (which at 900+ pages is a tome, not a book), I instead am taking a blind plunge into the literary unknown. Why Clinton’s memoirs, you may ask? Simply, he was the first US president that I can clearly remember. I grew up during the Reagan years, and I very vaguely recall Bush 41, but Clinton was the one president that I can associate with that country south of the 49th parallel. That being said, there’s a lot I don’t know about him and hopefully My Life will sate my curiosity.

This leads me directly into the meaty section of today’s post (which should placate the cerebral urges of some of our readership). Monday June 28, 2004 will also be a day to mark in my life calendar, as I will join many across Canada in my very first general election. The last election, which elected the second official that I have some recollection of, Jean Chrétien, was held 2 days before my 18th birthday, so unable to participate in this “joyous” of civic duties, I eagerly look forward to next week when I elect my MP.

I use “joyous” in quotation marks, because, like many in my demographic (the beloved 18-to-24 slice), I honestly have been ambivalent and to a certain extent, ignorant, of Canadian politics. (I shamefully admit that I probably know more about American elections than Canadian, but my associate The Smalrus probably understands this predicament, with him being a Canada-&-Franco-phile American). I belong to the youth that needs to “Rock The Vote,” to participate more, to show an interest in government.

So why the New Democratic Party (NDP)? My choice was 80% made up when the election was called, and these past 2-3 weeks of campaigning has solidified my decision. There are a multitude of reasons why I’m voting NDP; for one, Jack Layton has a moustache. Another reason is that my riding will be represented by Olivia Chow. Yes, my primary choices are base, superficial and nonsensical (but honestly, Layton wears his ‘stache with a certain je ne sais quoi).

Ultimately, campaign promises and platforms don’t mean much to me as: a) I’ve reached an age where policies only begin to apply; b) I haven’t any loyalty to any other party before; and c) I like to consider myself a progressive leftie.

In the end, I can’t guarantee that I will continue participating in future elections. But as they say: there’s a first time for everything.

No comments: