Friday, April 02, 2004

So I'm sitting at my computer with an empty bottle of Wolf Blass 2001 Shiraz from South Australia, contemplating this task before me. Earlier on my "commute" (a 20 minute streetcar/subway ride) from work today, I came to the conclusion that my first post would focus on the concept of indecisiveness. As Prashant wrote, this idea had indeed been brewing for quite some time. I remember the exact time when this idea first exposed itself. Prashant and I were enjoying one of many pints at McKibbons in Montreal one February weekend. Even so, after countless discussions (online and in Real Life), arguments and drunken ramblings, we have decided that a Blog would be an ideal start, for wherever this endeavor will take us.

Yes, I will attempt a "deconstructionist analysis." I use quotation marks because (I will freely admit) don't exactly know the complete meaning of "deconstruction." I will however examine this title that we have decided upon.

Uncluttered: To be free of clutter - clutter (as propounded by William Zinsser in "On Writing Well"):

"Clutter is the ponderous euphemism that turns a slum into a depressed socioeconomic area, a salesman into a marketing representative and garbage collectors into waste disposal personnel."

(You may have noticed that I have incorporated various quotes in this first post. I blame it on my History training in university.)

Advocating: advocate - vt. To plead in favor of.

Evolved: developed, grown, progressed, advanced. It signifies change, from recognized historicity to (to borrow a Prashant word) "contemporary" ideas.

Thought.

My colleague has said that we might meander. I would rather argue that this blog (which I guarantee will NOT become a tool for us to pour our emotions onto our readers) is a journey. Meandering connotates an image of being lost, wandering. I say that every step contributes to our (and hopefully, your) understanding of what we are attempting here.

Aerosmith said "Life's a journey, not a destination."

I invite criticism and compliments from our readers-to-be.

No comments: