Thursday, April 15, 2004

Two nights ago, I tried to compose something coherent to be posted on this ol’ Blog. Unfortunately, what came spewing forth from my keyboard was complete and utter crap. I had no sense of direction, purpose or clarity in my writing. Not only was it unintelligible, but I was vainly attempting to criticize poor writing on the Internet. How ironic that my feeble attempts resulted in a feeble effort on my part.

Was it simply writer’s block? That, in my opinion, is much like stepping into the bright sunlight after being holed underground in a dank and dark cave. Blinded momentarily, you have a vague idea of what’s out there, some piddling idea of what you mean to write, the proverbial “on the tip of your tongue.” The best way to overcome this feeling of inadequacy is to simply step back. In my case, I turned on the television.

Expecting some sort of inspiration, I was instead struck by images of sheer stupidity. No, it wasn’t Spike TV’s “Most Extreme Elimination” (an amusing show by the way, an English-dubbed 1980’s Japanese version of American Gladiators). Rather, it was the leader of that country south of mine, George W. Bush.

Following a rare press conference, in an even rarer question and answer period, Bush stuttered numerous times as he tried to answer specifics about 9/11, Iraq, Oil and what not. (I’ll leave an analysis of WHAT he actually said to Prashant perhaps, or visit http://slate.msn.com/id/2098810/). Bush’s stumbling speech was reminiscent of Porky Pig signing off an episode of Looney Tunes.

Which brings me full circle to my original thought. If you can’t say it properly, you have 2 options: a) learn how to speak or b) don’t say it at all. The same applies for writing, and for a prime example, visit any message board or Usenet newsgroup on the Internet. You have your capable posters, who argue their point coherently. You also have your literary jackasses, often resorting to name calling, illogical sentences or just plain poor writing.

I am in full support of free speech, as that is exactly what I’m doing here. I know Bush isn’t eloquent. I know I can do little about educating the masses online. But the question still remains: how much longer must this spectacle go on?

No comments: